Saturday, March 3, 2012

Neighborhood Mourns Marine

When I saw the tiny American flags lined up for blocks as I drove down Maplewood last night, I thought perhaps my little Chicago neighborhood would be honoring the safe return of a local military hero.  When I spotted the yellow ribbons a few blocks further and even more flags, I started to worry. 

By the time I walked in my front door, there were several messages about the tragic loss of one of Beverly's own. Marine Lance Cpl. Conner Lowry was killed March 1st while serving in Afghanistan. He was a St. John Fisher and Brother Rice graduate who loved sports and all things Irish. His dream was to return home and become a Chicago firefighter.

For full story, including a video recollection of his sister, visit the story at Chicago Tribune

Please keep Conner's family in your thoughts and prayers.



6 comments:

  1. So sad, and it does amaze me how quickly people come together to show support when it's needed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's heartbreaking, especially as a mother. My prayers go out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading the words of his mom made me choke up. Your little boys will always be your 'little boys' no matter how old they are. Makes me want to hug mine.

    A nice story in the Chicago tribune, and wonderful of you to post about it to show support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sorry. my deepest sympathy.

    xxo
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for showing support for Cpl. Lowry's family and the neighborhood. It is times like these where I just want to hold my boys closer.

    ReplyDelete